Thursday, June 30, 2011

Wing Night

It had never worked out before. But whatever, like that's about to stop us. We were in the usual spots. Usual mood. Typical work day. Break time always seemed so short.

"At least we have something to do with our day." said Marissa. "When I get home I basically sit on the couch until its time to go to sleep. I'm pretty sure that's what my whole day would be like without this job."

We all give non-comittal half-nods. It's funny how we all act super tired at work. It's not like just standing in one spot is all that draining. Plus we get special mats to stand on. Yipee. Mostly we ast tired during break. Most of work is actually made up of everyone waiting for the next break. When you're packing cucumbers you can't help but think about when you can stop. We keep coming back to work though. We all need the money.

"Lets do things," said Marissa. We waited. Somehow we all knew that this wasn't all. Sure enough: "You know, like watching movies together or going out to eat. Give us something to look forward to after work." The nods are slightly more than non-commital, but I'm really catching on here.

There are only a handful of us here, the college students getting some money for education between semesters. Most people here are as far as they will ever get, ya know? They're kinda stuck for life. 'Motivation to go to college' as my dad tells me. Anyway, we kind of stick together, us educated kids. Maybe because we are all the same age. We all sit at the same table at break and eat. We don't really talk. I mean little stuff, but nothing worth mentioning. Except I guess this conversation.

"Yes," I said. "Tonight is wing night at Native New Yorker. Let's do that" It seemed like people from our work group were going to wing night practically every week, so I figured that everyone would jump on the idea, but
"I have an online class," Alisha announced right away. Scott was busy, Jake wasn't at work that day, but Jared was game. Marissa shot me a look. "I'll text people" I said.

The responses were mixed, but we got at least three more yeses. That was enough. Wing night was on.

4:30- work ended, and of course we practiacally crawl out the door, we're all so tired. I was so excited. "Wing Night! Seven o'clock" I shouted through the front door when I got home. Why hadn't I ever gone to wing night before with my co-workers?  Something always came up, I guess. This was going to be the best.
Bam. My phone buzzes. Text from Marissa- Hey I can't give you a ride tonight. We are having an unexpected family visit tonight. I'm not going.

Haha. That's what I said back. Didn't mean it. So I shot out a text to the 'yeses' to see if anyone can give me a ride. I was real subtle. I said 'Who is still going to wing night? We are taking a headcount.'
emily- sorry can't make it after all
hailey- got called in to work. sorry
alyssa- nah I can't come. Thanks though
delsy-
delsy didn't actually text me back.

Ha. cause this had never happened before. Wing night always worked out perfectly for everyone. Just not me. I could never seem to make it. Other than that though.
So, what? No wing night. I had planned something and it flopped. I wasn't to wing night after all.
I texted Marissa- The whole world doesn't want me to go to wing night.
her reply- Haha. We'll plan better next time.

I wanted to tell her not to bother, but I just couldn't. It wasn't just the lack of planning. Things worked out anyway, sometimes. Whatever, wing night had never worked out before.

People tried to comfort me, but it's not like I was all that upset. I had just acted really excited for it. Lance vowed we would go next week. I wanted to tell him not to bother.

Mom was setting to places at the table. Her and Lance. They were leaving early for a hair appointment.
Lance- "unless I am working that day"
Dad- "honey don't you think we should eat as a family.
Mom- Lance and I are leaving here in about two minutes. We are already late.
Lance- I could just trade with some one I guess
Dad- We can get everone here and ready to eat. We need to eat as a family
Mom- (on the phone)
Lance- I'm writing it on the calender
Dad- Kids come to the kitchen! It's time for dinner.
Mom- (walks away from the kitchen. still on the phone)
Lance- (staring at his food)
Dad- the boys are taking the dog on a walk, but if Mom and Lance are going to start eating we might as well get everone who is around together to eat.
Mom- (snaps phone shut) Lance lets go
Lance & Mom- leave
I went upstairs. Dinner didn't seem to be coming anytime soon

1 comment:

  1. CHAD I AM SO SORRY! stupid human delsy forgot, and her phone died. :(

    ReplyDelete